We would like to welcome you, once again, to a new year at Colegio Bolivar and The Martin Felton Colegio Bolivar library! The library staff – Martha Fayad, Elizabeth Aguado, Adriana Lozano, and Maria Victoria Gomez, have worked hard to position the library as a valuable resource at Colegio Bolivar. As always, the competition for our own shelves of books, magazines, and our access to reliable and relevant resources through established databases of news sources is unequaled.
We encourage students, teachers, and the community, in general, to allay some of today’s digital noise and “fake news” by offering peer-reviewed materials, published works, well-regarded authors of both fiction and non-fiction, and legitimate sources of information to establish a common ground of facts and opinions so our students may have all the information they need to make competent and informed decisions, not only in school but beyond.
The world is in desperate need of our progeny to engage in thoughtful discussions and dialogs about the frightening global issues facing humanity at this crucial period in our own epoch, and these will only come about through accepting a common core of facts.
We are happy to be of service to the Colegio Bolivar community.Click here to find out what other events and expositions you can appreciate in the library.
- Colombian Colonial Architecture Exhibition by 9th graders
- Ancient Egypt from middle school
- Drawing and artwork based on the novel “The Tunnel” by 9th graders
- Cali is Cali from primary
- Provivienda Fundraising
- Kindness Week for fifth graders
- An exposition from El Nido
- Project Learning Studio
- Redesigning the Human Body from 7th grade science
- Library Night
- Our annual “May the Fourth Be With You”
- Scholastic Book Fair
- Several author visits and much more
If you are a burgeoning author, artist, musician, etc., please feel free to contact us. The library is for the whole community to share and use, a common meeting ground to explore and take pleasure in our many talents and creativity.
We’d love to have more parents in the library this year! Check everything out on our web page! We have A LOT to offer:
- Books for all ages: Use our online catalog at the link above to search by keyword, author, title, subject, and more. There are countless ways to find what you or your children want, including asking a Librarian! And, if we don’t have it, we can get it for you. Just let us know!
- Electronic Books: We have 1000’s of electronic books available through our catalog or for Kindle. As well, we encourage you to check out Tumblebooks, for a great collection of books you can read with your Preprimary and Primary children OR have read to you. Many items are available in Spanish.
- Space for your Exhibitions: We’ve had many parents over the years use the library to display their own artwork or other creations. This is a wonderful opportunity to share with the Colegio Bolivar community!
- Drop in just to Hang Out: We have up to date magazines and newspapers AND great, comfortable places just to sit and relax. Join us!
- Electronic Resources: If you’re doing any research, want to read the latest New York Times articles, or simply want to get caught up with current events,EbscoHost y Explora are certainly the place to go. This resource, which includes material from 1,000’s of journals, magazines, newspapers, and more, is geared towards both our students and our professional community. Many items are also available in Spanish OR can be translated into Spanish instantly. Another database that may be of interest to the community is Latin American Newspapers de NewsBank, offering access to more than 300 newspapers From Argentina to Venezuela published between 1805 and 1922 from more than 20 countries in the region. It displays the original newspapers from these time periods and is searchable.
If you’re interested in using Tumblebooks, EbscoHost and Explora or Latin American Newspapers by NewsBank please email the Library Director to request the Username and Password to access these resources. Email firstname.lastname@example.org – PBX 485 5050 Ext. 243.