Event & Exhibition Policy
The Martin Felton Library adheres to the American Library Association’s policy on exhibitions and events in the library, as follows
Libraries which make exhibit spaces and meeting rooms available to the public they serve should make such facilities available on an equitable basis, regardless of the beliefs or affiliations of individuals or groups requesting their use. (From the ALA Bill of Rights)
Therefore, the Martin Felton Library’s exhibit space is open “to [all] organizations engaged in educational, cultural, intellectual, or charitable activities.”
All those wishing to reserve space for activities or exhibitions must abide by the following regulations
- All requests for library space for events or exhibitions must be made in writing to the Head Librarian well in advance of the event or exhibition, specifically outlining the dates, times, needs, theme and purpose of the event or exhibition. All events and exhibitions are on a first come, first served basis.
- If there is a need for additional personnel to be involved in either setting up or taking down an event or exhibition, a formal request must be made by the Organizer to the Head of Maintenance with copies to the Library Director and Circulation Desk.
- If there is a need for security or off-hours access, a formal request must be made by the Organizer to the Head of Security, with copies to the Library Director and Circulation Desk.
- If there is a need for technological support, a formal request must be made by the Organizer to the Head of Technology, with copies to the Library Director and Circulation Desk.
- The Library Director must be notified of all cancellations or of any changes in the information included on the request or the written descriptions of the exhibit as early as possible.
- Once the formal requests are made, the Library Director will meet with the Organizer of the event or exhibition to discuss the regulations and to determine the specific needs of the event or exhibition.
- All areas needed for the event or exhibition must be reserved well in advance in order to avoid conflicts with other library patrons. These reservations must be made through Colegio Bolivar’s Intranet and the Reference Librarian. Please be reminded that the Modules and Colgate Room are TWO distinct reservations and must be reserved together if the event or exhibitions requires it. As well, please consider your needs in setting up or taking down the exhibit as that may also require reserving the Colgate for a day or two.
- The Organizer of the event or exhibition must sign this form indicating that they agree to abide by the library’s regulations for events and exhibitions.
- The mounting, design and scheduling of exhibitions will take place at the discretion of the Director and designated staff. The Organizer is solely responsible for setting up, monitoring, and taking down of the event or exhibition, in conjunction with the library staff, maintenance, and technology staff, as needed.
- The Organizer should think of the library and school staff as assistants, not the sole workers, in any event or exhibition; it is up to the Organizer and the others involved in the event to actually mount, monitor and deconstruct the event or exhibition.
- The library does not provide staff to serve as attendants during an exhibit nor does the staff monitor exhibit areas at any time.
- All work should be done according to the schedule established by the Library Director and the event Organizer.
- In no case whatsoever are permanent fixtures, walls, modules, displays, books, tables, chairs, computer equipment, or other library resources to be moved or modified without the direct consent and supervision of the Library Director. This includes the use of glue, tape, nails, screws, paint, or the like.
- The library reserves the right to disapprove or remove any item from the exhibit or event if it is determined that the item is a possible safety hazard, is too large or too heavy for the facility, creates a maintenance problem, exceeds acceptable noise levels or is not in compliance with the provisions of this policy or with the mission and goals of the library.
- Once the event or exhibition has finished, the Library Director and Organizer will review the space or spaces used in the event and then mutually sign the Paz y Salvo on this form.
- All damages resulting from any event or exhibition are the sole responsibility of the organizer.
- Programs and exhibits may not disrupt the use of the library by others. Persons attending any event or exhibit are subject to all library rules and regulations.
- No event or exhibition may be “for profit.”
- The Library does not insure articles or materials exhibited and is not responsible for theft or damage. Exhibitors must make their own arrangements for insurance.
Your formal request, specifically outlining the dates, times, needs, theme and purpose of the event or exhibition, should accompany this form.
On behalf of my organization, I have read the above regulations and agree to comply with all regulations governing use of the Martin Felton Library. I also agree, on behalf of my organization, to assume responsibility for ensuring that the above conditions are met.
In addition to the above, we are asking for possible donations from our local artists with the following letter
El Colegio Bolivar acorde con sus tradiciones desea conservar un buen recuerdo de los importantes artistas que nos honran con sus exposiciones, por tal motivo rogamos a usted se sirva donarnos la obra que a bien tenga identificándola de manera clara para que futuros visitantes tengan el esparcimiento espiritual del cual nosotros disfrutamos.
Director Servicios de Información